Affordableproperty Back to the old school S EPTEMBER is looming, which means the younger among us soon head back to school, and the slightly less young to university for another term of debauchery -- and maybe the odd essay. These may be the places where our youthful selves do battle with the books, but when schools out for the buildings themselves, and the pupils move on to somewhere new and custom-built, they also make very attractive flats. Flats within school conversions or moulded from colleges can often be pricey when bought outright -- any- thing with character or history adds to the price tag. So below we offer you the affordable route: flats with academic backgrounds and up for sale through shared ownership -- where you buy a percentage of the flat and pay rent on the rest. Kingsway square SET on the site of the former Westminster Kingsway College in Battersea, where celebrity chefs Jamie Oliver, Ainsley Harriott and Antony Worrall Thompson learned their trade, flats in Kingsway Square start at 78,200 for a 25 per cent share. The building is close to Batterseas 200-acre park and will feature a concierge, communal roof terrace and underground parking when built. Genesishomes 0800 8830529; genesishomes.org.uk/ wandsworth Old schOOl yard FOUND opposite Emirates Stadium (home to Arsenal football club), this development is being built in the old yard of a converted Victorian school. Its new-build but has the character of a grand old building on its doorstep. One of the best features of this development is its location: close to desirable Islington and the many shops, bars and restaurants of lively Upper Street. Prices start at 56,250 for a 25 per cent share of a one- bedroom flat based on a market value of 225,000. Probably not one for Spurs fans, though. Family Mosaic 020 7089 1315; familymosaicsales.co.uk st thOmas THIS isnt exactly the usual school conversion -- its built above a primary school in Notting Hill -- but the fact that it is slightly different means its relatively affordable, for this des-res area at least. Prices start at 55,000 for a quarter-share of a one-bedroom being sold -- some with terraces -- with views as far as Queens Park, which spans 30 acres. Kilburn and Queens Park Tube stations are both close by. Flats can be bought through the Governments HomeBuy Direct scheme, where you purchase the flat at 70 per cent of the asking price, with the remaining 30 per cent funded by an interest-free loan. One-bedroom flats start at 174,965 using this initiative. Crest Nicholson 0870 755 0834; crestnicholson.com/ theacademy academy central THIS scheme, being built by L&Q and Taylor Wimpey on the former University Of East London site in Barking, is a gigantic project. Once completed it will encom- pass 1,042 homes, including 356 affordable ones. Work has only just started, and selling for the afford- able element will not begin until next year, when prices will be confirmed. Among the new facilities being built is a recrea- tion area, with swimming pool and gym -- it also promises to have lots of green space. L&Q 0844 406 9800; lqgroup. org.uk by jessie hewitson flat, and you can buy up to 75 per cent if your budget stretches that far. The flats come with wooden flooring and trendy, high-gloss kitchens, and the market, shops and restaurants of Portobello Road and Ladbroke Grove are close by. Places For People 020 7289 6666; st-thomas-apartments. co.uk the academy THIS is a listed building in Kilburn -- a refurbished Edwardian college dating from 1903 -- with shared- ownership flats available in a new block that adjoins the old school. One- and two-bedroom flats are Star turn: Kingsway Square is a former top chefs school Goldstarsfornewdevelopmentsinformereducationalestablishments London Lite Friday, 21 August 2009 27 index.html2.html3.html4.html5.html6.html7.html8.html9.html10.html11.html12.html13.html14.html15.html16.html17.html18.html19.html20.html21.html22.html23.html24.html25.html26.html27.html28.html29.html30.html31.html32.html33.html34.html35.html