LITESPORT London Lite Wednesday, 5 August 2009 35 BASED SUPPORTBREAKING NEWS... Bruceclosing onBentwith Neillupnext SUNDERLAND manager Steve Bruce has spoken of his frustration at the way Spurs have handled the long-running transfer saga of Darren Bent. Bent had a medical yesterday and agreed personal terms but the deal had still not been finalised last night with Levy away in America. The 14m deal is expected to finally go through today but Bruce (above), speaking after his teams 2-0 friendly win at Peterborough last night, said: I have been saying it for days but we have just got to be patient and hope that we can get it over the line in the next 24 hours. It is a delay between the two clubs, obviously Mr Levy is in America. We are all frustrated after eight or nine days so you can imagine how Darren feels. Meanwhile, Sunderland are reported to be in talks with out of contract West Ham defender Lucas Neill. Chelseaseal Drogbadeal DIDIER DROGBA has reportedly agreed a new 100,000 deal with Chelsea that will keep him at Stamford Bridge. The Ivory Coast striker has been linked with a number of high- profile European clubs, as well as Manchester City, but is now poised to give new manager Carlo Ancelotti a boost and pledge his long-term future to the Blues. According to The Sun, the 30-year- old has told Chelsea officials that he is happy to sign, with an announcement expected in the next few days, possibly even before the west Londoners take on Manchester United in the Community Shield at Wembley on Sunday. KINNEARS TOON CLAIM: PAGE 32 ready to go opening bat Shane Watson revealed: Hes probably a game away, he needs that under his belt to be under calculation for selection. Lee said: Ive been bowling for two weeks now. Could I understand it if the selectors left me out? Not really. Ive done everything I can. THE SERIES FIRST TEST Cardiff, match drawn SECOND TEST Lords, England win THIRD TEST FOURTH TEST FIFTH TEST The Brit Oval, 20-24 Aug England Brit Oval, 20-24 A ds, England Cardiff, match d England Brit Oval, 20-24 A match ds, England Cardiff, matchdifdifCardiff, match drawn Lords, England win The Brit Oval, 20-24 Aug Lords, England win The Brit Oval, 20-24 Aug Cardiff, match drawnCardiff, match drawn Lords, England win The Brit Oval, 20-24 Aug Cardiff, match drawnCardiff, match drawn Natural selection: Broad is doing fine with the bat but is under pressure as a bowler from Sidebottom and Harmison, inset I love being on the boos says footie fan Ponting BY DAVID DIBBLE RICKY PONTING insists he loved every minute of the third Ashes Test at Edgbaston despite being persistently booed by England fans. ECB chairman Giles Clarke has penned a message in the match programme for Fridays fourth Test at Headingley calling on the notoriously loud Yorkshire fans to show respect. And Yorkshire chief executive Stewart Regan Regan confirmed that Barmy Army trumpet player Bill Cooper will not be permitted to play in the ground and that anyone who behaves in an unacceptable manner will be ejected. But Ponting laughed: It is always good, light-hearted stuff. The Edgbaston crowd were not the first to boo me this summer -- but they were the loudest. Whenever I walk out of the changing rooms Im thinking: Right, lets get the booing done, and then Ill start my innings. Ponting enjoyed a warmer reception last night when he and Shane Watson attended a friendly between a Manchester United XI and Altrincham at Moss Lane. Geoff Goodwin, the Altrincham chairman, owns the bus company that has ferried the Aussies around on the last four tours. He said: Rickys a massive fan. Great escape: Ponting and Watson emerge from the tunnel last night and, left, meets ex-Man Utd striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Thumb driver: Massa gets all-clear Massive boost for Massa after successful surgery FELIPE MASSA has been told he does not need any more surgery following his life-threatening high-speed crash last month. The Brazilian spent two days in an induced coma after suffering multiple fractures to the skull when he was hit by a piece of flying debris during qualifying for the Hungary Grand Prix. But after returning home to Sao Paulo, the 28-year- old was given the morale- boosting news that he will not need any more operations as he continues his recovery. Following a check-up at a hospital in the Brazilian city, Massas personal physician Dino Altmann revealed: We did a series of in-depth tests and the outcome was very encouraging. Together with the hospitals medical staff, we decided it wouldnt be currently necessary to further intervene from a surgical point of view. The best thing for him now is to go back home, where he can calmly convalesce and rehabilitate. It is anticipated Massa will still miss at least four grands prix, starting with the European in Valencia on 23 August. Michael Schumacher will deputise in Massas absence, with the seven-times world champion agreeing to step out of his near three-year retirement at the request of Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo. But F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone has admitted he would like the German to keep driving even when Massa returns. Id like to see him stay for a lot of seasons, Ecclestone explained. Lets wait and see what happens in the next year, he might make a big decision. Michaels a competitive guy, so I think hes going to give one or two of them a driving lesson. BY NEIL MARTIN CHELSEA PURSUE PIRLO: PAGES 32-33 index.html2.html3.html4.html5.html6.html7.html8.html9.html10.html11.html12.html13.html14.html15.html16.html17.html18.html19.html20.html21.html22.html23.html24.html25.html26.html27.html28.html29.html30.html31.html32.html33.html34.html35.html