32 Wednesday, 5 August 2009 London Lite LITESPORT Inbrief United suffer a Van breakdown lMANCHESTER UNITED goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar is expected to be ruled out for eight weeks after breaking a finger and a bone in his hand. The 38-year-old Dutchman was injured while saving a penalty from Danijel Pranjic in the 7-6 shoot-out defeat to Bayern Munich in the pre-season Audi Cup in Germany. Ben Foster and Tomasz Kuszczak will now battle it out for a place in the United line-up. Pompey pair fined for tiff lPORTSMOUTHS troubled summer took a turn for the even worse when the club admitted striker David Nugent, 24, and Marc Wilson, 21, have been fined for a serious breach of club discipline on the pre-season tour of Portugal. The pair are reported to have come to blows at the clubs hotel after their 4-0 defeat to Benfica. A statement from the club said: The matter has been dealt with internally. Red card bans to fit the crime lDISCIPLINARY chiefs will be able to take into account the severity of injuries caused by serious fouls when dealing with red card offences in the coming seasons. The FA have announced bans can be increased -- or reduced -- by taking into account a number of important specified factors including intent, force and injury. An FA statement said: This change will only cater for the truly exceptional cases. Mowbray cool on Celtics task lCELTIC manager Tony Mowbray says he is not under pressure, despite facing a 12m loss of revenue if his side fail to reach the Champions League group stage. The Scots face Dinamo Moscow in the third round tonight looking to overturn a 1-0 home defeat from the first leg. But Mowbray insists: It is the bigger picture that you have to look at, you cant expect to change everything in four or five weeks. Dan is not the man for Bolton lFORMER Watford defender Danny Shittu is set to leave current club Bolton after manager Gary Megson admitted he is prepared to sell the 28-year-old. Shittu left the Hornets in a 2m deal last summer, but has failed to establish himself as a regular in the Bolton side And Megson revealed: There is quite a bit of interest in Danny and we will see if it materialises into anything more concrete. Chelsea to double CHELSEAhavedoubledtheirbidforAC Milans Andrea Pirlo. The Italian clubs president Silvio Berlusconi, vice-president Adriano Gal- liani and manager Leonardo are all meetingtogethertodiscussthepossible sale of Pirlo. They dont want to sell their 30-year- old midfielder but need to raise funds to sign Luis Fabiano from Sevilla. So far they have rejected Chelseas offer of 7m plus striker Claudio Piz- arro but it is believed they will accept a fee of around 15.3m. Chelsea are prepared to meet the ask- ing price to complete the diamond formation favoured by new coach Carlo Ancelotti but the 30-year-olds wages could be a problem -- he is paid 6.5m a year in Italy, thats a budget-busting 106,000-a-week after tax. It is understood that Pirlo is happy to movetoChelseaandMilanareprepared to sell, even though it may anger fans after Kakas 59m move to Real Madrid. Milan have told Chelsea they are not interested in Pizarro moving in the opposite direction as part of the deal. The Peru international is still likely to be sold back to Werder Bremen, where he spent last season on loan. Pirlos imminent arrival has certainly stirred up Michael Ballack, who has been working over-time in order to recover from a broken toe and ensure he gets a chance to force his way into Ancelottis thinking. Ballack missed four pre-season games but turned out in a reserve friendly against QPR last night to ensure he is match fit for the Community Shield against Manchester United at Wembley on Sunday. He said: I feel good. It was important to come back quickly and good to have a game like this to come back. I have trained really well during the time I was injured on the bike and in the pool so I could keep up my fitness level. Now Im happy to be back. Its always disappointing to be with theteam[onpre-seasontriptoUSA]and have to go back from such a nice tour but it was better for my recovery because there were a lot of flights over there. It was better for me to come back and recover over here. We are now using a completely new system with the diamond. We played it under Jose Mourinho a few times and some of the players know it. We have to adapt again because we have four in the middle with no wingers and a lot of the possession is different, so we have to train a lot. Wearedoingdoubletrainingsessions at the moment but I am used to doing that from Germany and it is normal in pre-season to work harder. There is a lot to do to prepare for the new season. by neal collins Milan think over move as Ballack roars back into action Diamond geezer: Pirlo goes past Shevchenko during Milans friendly against Chelsea in the US last month Kinnear offered a new deal to return to Toon Transfer block hits Palace but Jordan pays up CRYSTAL PALACE have been hit with a transfer embargo by the Football League because they owe some of last seasons squad signing-on fees and bonuses. According to todays Daily Mail, the former Eagles players owed money include John Oster, James Scowcroft, Paul Ifill and Shefki Kuqi. Chairman Simon Jordan insisted the existing squad have been paid in full after he pumped 5m in to the club. Jordan said: This summer has been difficult for Palace and for me. I have stepped in to bankroll the club to the tune of 5m. I dont have a board of investors pumping money in. Most clubs would have gone into administration but ours hasnt because I stood up and made the payment. JOE KINNEAR today claimed he has been offered a two-year contract by Mike Ashley to resume his role as Newcastle manager. Kinnear said the offer was put to him two weeks ago but he had told the clubs owner he would not be able to return to work for at least three months. Currently recovering from a heart complaint, he made the startling claim on BBC Radio Five Live. Kinnear said: I have been offered a two-year contract and it is something I am mulling over at the present time. I have told Mike I am not going to go back to football for at least another three months and we will look at the situation then. I told him I would refuse to go back for pre-season friendlies as I was not up to it for medical reasons. I needed to take time out and take it from there. But obviously in another three months the picture might be different. In the meantime if Newcastle feel the need to go and get another manager then so be it. Kinnear was in charge of Newcastle for 26 games before his heart problems forced him to stand down in February. Alan Shearer took over for the final eight games and the club were relegated. Chris Hughton is currently in charge in a caretaker capacity. by kriss iversen No jokin here: Joe Kinnear HH index.html2.html3.html4.html5.html6.html7.html8.html9.html10.html11.html12.html13.html14.html15.html16.html17.html18.html19.html20.html21.html22.html23.html24.html25.html26.html27.html28.html29.html30.html31.html32.html33.html34.html35.html